Wednesday, July 13, 2005

hot and bothered.

There are so many flies in my apartment these days I feel like I'm in a tropical third-world country. Where the heck are they all coming from?? They're annoying the crap out of me - but I know it could be worse. At least they're not something with stingers.

The other reason I feel like I am in an equatorial setting is that it's quarter after midnight right now, and it's still 90 degrees in here. I so wish I were kidding about that. It's awful. We broke down a couple weeks ago and bought a small window box air conditioner for the bedroom (ironically, the room that least needed the a.c. - the window fan in there did a pretty decent job, but now that the a.c. unit is screwed into the window frame, it gets too hot in there during the day when we have the unit set to fan-only). So at the very least, I will be able to shower before I go to bed, then sleep sweat-free.

I have a lot of things I still want to post, and tweaks I still want to make here, but for the past few days, I haven't had any time, and I've just been so brain-dead. My sleep schedule naturally settles somewhere around up-at-11, sleep-at-3; but for the past few days, I've had to be up at like, 6:30 or 7 a.m. for training for my new job, and it's just been brutal. Sunday night/Monday morning I didn't end up going to bed until almost 4 a.m., and then I couldn't fall alseep, so I only got about an hour's worth of sleep. Last night I went to bed at 1, but I had to get up at 6:30. I'm about to go pass out right now, after I shower, so maybe I'll make it by 12:45 tonight. I still need to get up around 6:45 or 7, tho'. Oh, did I mention? The actual shift I will be working is 2nd shift - from like, 4 p.m. to midnight. Ugh. So I've almost nodded off more than once during my training sessions. They probably think I'm the biggest idiot. Heh.

Oh, and the other thing I forgot to mention: not only did I discover on Monday morning that my old alarm clock had decided to stop working, but the DH discovered that the coffee grinder had decided to stop working, too. (Why yes, I was late for my first day of my new job - so uncharacteristic of me, no?) We went out and bought a new clock and grinder that night, but I've already figured out how to cheat the snooze on the clock (so I was a petite bit late for my second day, too), and I hadn't figured out the coffee grinder by this past morning, so I had to go in there with no caffeine in me whatsoever. So really, it wasn't exactly a surprise I was nodding off by 11 a.m.

Oh, lordy, the sweaty stickiness is getting to me - must. go. shower. And then... sweet, blissful keeling over and passing out before the steady stream of blessedly cool air emanating from the 'box. With the crappy electrical wiring in this house, the thing will probably blow up or short out or something before the summer is over (or, at the very least, the electricity bills will send us to the poor house). But until then... oh, the sweat-free nights!