Saturday, July 02, 2005

some good points, some bad points

I am a bit put out that I didn't get around to posting something yesterday to celebrate Canada Day. I've been very lax in commemorating that holiday of late, and I want to change that. We did, at least, go out and have donuts last night to mark the occasion (if you're wondering how that relates to Canada - I once read that Canadians consume more donuts per capita than do the citizens of any other nation on earth). There's no Tim Horton's in our town, tho', so we had to settle for Krispy Kreme (which, oh really, twist my arm).

Uhm, okay, the main points of this post: I got some good news this week, and I got some kind of bad news. The good news: I got the job I applied for! Yay! It's not going to be as many hours as I was hoping, but they said I'd have plenty of opportunity to pick up more if I want them. So yay, income! Yay, resume-building! Yay, not letting my brain atrophy completely over the summer!

The bad news, I just got today. My mom called this afternoon and told me my grandmother had a heart attack and is in the hospital. When Mom first called, they weren't sure yet how serious this was going to be - I mean, of course it's a big deal, because Nana is 90, and a heart attack at that age is no picnic. But it could be a more easily treatable sort of thing, or it could be the kind of thing that might necessitate surgery, and, as Mom put it, they probably couldn't find anyone who'd be willing to operate on someone Nana's age. Mom called back tonight, after they got the results from the coronary catheterization (I think that was the procedure - hey, I'm not in medical school yet, okay, cut me some slack), and said the blockage was only in one artery, so they cleared that and put in a stent (again, I think that's what it's called). And now Nana feels much better and is doing okay. *whew*

It's somewhat hard for me to adjust to this idea of Nana being as frail as her age might suggest, of her not being indestructible. Up 'til very recently, she's been so active and healthy - people never realize she's 90 when they meet her, because she has the mobility of someone much younger. She could run rings around me, even through my teens and early twenties. She's like a hummingbird - she never stops moving (until she settles down in the evenings to watch TV - then she falls asleep on the couch - but really, if you're watching Larry King, who wouldn't fall asleep on the couch?). I'm a little afraid that if she ever does stop moving, if she can't be as active and independent as she's used to being, that'll be it for her. I'm afraid the descent will be swift. But I really just can't imagine Nana giving in like that. She's too much of a fighter. I can't imagine her doing anything but clinging tenaciously to life - and not just life, but life at its fullest possible. In case you haven't gathered by now, my grandmother is a pretty remarkable woman (well, all my grandparents were pretty remarkable, but Nana is the only one I've got left now). And I guess I realized today that, no matter how much she may frustrate me and annoy the crap out of me sometimes, I am not ready to say goodbye to her just yet.