Friday, October 21, 2005

how about a nice, hot beaker of shut the fuck up

Speaking of chemistry and why it sucks, let me mention my organic chem lab TAs. They are actually pretty cool, most of the time, and surprisingly stylish for chemistry grad students. But our lab section is from 7-10 p.m. on Wednesday nights. It's clear by about 9 p.m. that they are ready to get the hell out of there, whether any of us students are done with our labs or not.

Being the tortoise that I am, I'm usually one of the last few people to finish the lab. By the time it gets down to the last few of us, the TAs start hollering and carrying on about how we need to hurry up and that they're ready to get out of there, and that the last one finished is going to buy them dinner, stuff like that. Harmless, really, but damn annoying (especially when you have to put up with it every week). It's like, if you're so damn ready to leave, why don't you help me dry all these beakers and flasks I just washed instead of sitting on your asses whining and yelling at us?

This week, I was cleaning up my bench, and I asked one of them if I could go ahead and toss my TLC plate. He said yes, so I chucked it in the regular garbage, and he immediately said "No! Not there!" like there was a special trash can I should have thrown it in. And I was like, great, jerky, now you tell me that. So I offered to reach in and get it out and dispose of it properly, and he was like "I'm joking! Ha ha!" HA HA?!? Bitch is lucky he didn't get a Pasteur pipette jammed up his nose.

So I'm thinking maybe I need to start doing my labs at an even more leisurely pace, just to be all passive-agressive about this. The problem with that strategy, however, is that it means I'll end up spending more time in organic chem lab than strictly necessary - which, now that I think about it... that's a pretty bad idea. More organic chem lab? *shudder*