Friday, October 21, 2005

panic.

Our second exam in organic chemistry is next week. That alone should be enough to explain the title of this post - but wait, there's more. I went to the review session given by the chemistry frat tonight (what? I have something better to do at 6 p.m. on a Friday night than study chemistry?), and within the first few minutes of the session, it became quite clear to me that I know nothing about what is going to be on next week's test. Nothing! No-thing, absolutely nothing at all. You'd think after sitting through all those lectures feeling like I maybe kinda sorta get it, something - the tiniest scrap of information - would have sunk in. But nope, nada. Zilch, zero. The sound of explosions you'll hear on Thursday at 5 p.m. will be me, bombing on that chemistry exam.

Actually, what is going to happen between now and then is that I'm going to spend the weekend panicking about this test, and then I'll have to do all the problem sets (or do them again, as the case may be), re-read all the lecture notes, go to every review session I can, try to set up a meeting with my tutor (who is so hard to get ahold of, and not particularly good at explaining things to me anyway)... and then I will still bomb, because the test is at 5 p.m. on Thursday, the exact day and time of the week when I am most burned-out and exhausted. By 5 p.m. on Thursdays, my brain is so fried it's about all I can do to crawl aboard the bus home, sit on the couch drooling for a couple hours, and then head back out to school for a rejuvenating Thursday Screeners arthouse film experience (or as art-house-y an experience one can have in the same lecture hall where one began one's day 9 hours earlier with BIO326: Genetics).

Ohh, I am so doomed. Doomed, doomed, doomed... Goodbye, all hopes for a B in o-chem. Goodbye, all hopes of attending medical school in the continental U.S. Hello, Xavier University School of Medicine in Aruba!