Friday, January 20, 2006

crap in my lap

Uhm, not that kind of crap. Crap like, I just spent the past 3 hours on the couch, frogging the leg of the socks I knit for the DH a while back. 3 hours, people. I'm sure the more experienced knitters among you already knew this, but when you're ripping out ribbing starting from the cast-on edge, it takes for-freaking-ever. I only had like, an inch-and-a-half of ribbing to rip, too (the rest of the leg was in stockinette - which the DH said felt too loose around his ankle, hence the ripping). I ripped down to just above the heel, picked up the stitches, and now I am going to knit back up to the top in k2-p2 rib.

3 hours. And that was just for one sock. I think I discovered a couple little tricks that might make the second one go faster. Of course, once I got past the ribbing, the rest of the leg took about 30 seconds to frog. Hooray for stockinette!

In other news, we haven't even had a full week of school yet, and I am sick of it already. Physics class is so chock-full of busywork, I'm not sure when I will find the time to actually finish it all, and we have to use these degrading clicker-things to answer questions during the (really boring and crowded) lectures. My organic chem professor thinks he is so way cool and funny, when really he is just obsequious* and weird (not that there's anything wrong with being weird - it's the obsequiousness that gets me). Japanese is kicking my ass - so much new vocab! All at once! And the labs haven't even started yet. Ugh. I may only be taking 13 credits, but you sure wouldn't know it from my workload.

Well, back to sock-frogging. What a depressing way to spend a Friday night.

*This is not really the word I want here, but it's close, and I can't seem to come up with anything better at the moment. The connotation I want is "trying to hard to be cool, but really just being kind of patronizing and annoying." Help me out here, people.