Sunday, January 01, 2006

some knitting content, for a change

So it's really a bitch when you're doing cabled socks and you get to what you think is a cable round, only to realize you miscounted and you should have cabled about 2 rounds ago. Then you have to tink back 2 whole rounds because you don't trust yourself to pick up both the knit and the purl stitches properly should you try to simply slip the needles out and rip back the 2 rounds.

It's also a bitch when you're thinking about starting the second sock of the pair and you realize you don't remember if, for the first sock, you did the same cast on specified in the pattern (long tail) or if you did the cast on you usually do for socks (the Old Norwegian, as specified in the Priscilla's Dream Socks pattern from Interweave Knits, which has become my Ur text for sock construction - Erin, I cannot thank you enough for passing that pattern on to me). I think I'm going to go with the Old Norwegian, and if it looks weird, I'll rip it out and start over. Why, oh why didn't I write down which cast on I used?? I made other notes on my printout of the pattern... why in god's name didn't I note that one crucial thing??

Ohh, the humanity!