Sunday, February 26, 2006

where did I go wrong?

When did I become the kind of crazed hockey fan who would be willing to get up at 8 in the morning on a Sunday just to watch the gold medal game between Sweden and Finland?

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with me??

Maybe if there'd been more NHL hockey on network TV so far this season (or if we had cable - tho' there's not much hockey on cable now, either), I wouldn't feel the need to do this just to see some hockey, any hockey.

I'm rooting for Finland (Finland Finland) today, even though usually I'd be rooting for Sweden, because Finland has never been in an Olympic gold medal game before, and so far this Olympics, they haven't lost a game. They're the quintessential underdogs, and I am a sucker for underdogs. Plus, there is no one from my fantasy hockey team on the Swedish team, but Kimmo Timonen (one of my defensemen, who usually plays for the Nashville Predators) is playing for the Finns - in fact, he scored the first goal of today's game. Yay, Kimmo!

I would've been all about Team Canada (especially since about half my Maraschino Protest was on that team), but they got knocked out before the final round. As an article on NHL.com asked, what went wrong? Y'know what, tho'? The fact that Team Canada lost means that my guys get more of a chance to rest up before the NHL season resumes tomorrow, and they don't have any further chance to get hurt in non-NHL play. They will totally have the gold locked up in the next Olympics, particularly since the 2010 games will be in Vancouver. Heck, by that time, maybe the US will have a team together worth mentioning.

Ooh, play's back on. I can't believe Sweden scored like, 10 seconds into the third period! C'mon, Finland Finland Finland, keep it together!