Thursday, June 08, 2006

who misses Alan Greenspan?

I do! I do!

Here's a little IM conversation I just had with my friend Gorontastic:

Me: ok - Ben Bernanke vs. Alan Greenspan
Me: how much cooler was Greenspan than Bernanke?
Me: a) a lot. b) a helluva lot. c) so much more the difference is unfathomable

G: my final answer is c

And she does financial work, so she would know.

Speaking of money, I got two half-straps from the bank today (so I can George them in preparation for the Bonnaroo trip), and there was a 1977A bill, a 1985 bill, and a 1988A bill in there. Weird. I've never seen a '77A bill before, and I've only entered eight '85 bills and twenty-six '88As. I also got another half-strap last week, and it had a 1963B bill in it! I hadn't seen one of those since Sam the Sham gave me one at the CarPool WG gathering in 2001! It's only the second '63B bill I've ever entered, and I haven't entered any bills from an older series than that. Getting one in circulation is totally crazy. I'm torn between saving it, and spending it in the hopes that it might get a hit. I just read back over this paragraph - if it read like Greek to you, chalk it up to my bizarre nerdiness and move on.

And speaking of spending my money (how d'ya like that for a segue?), I've been on kind of an online shopping spree lately. I dunno why - kind of a buy-it-now-or-never mentality. I got a notice that two of the reprints I'd voted for on Threadless had reached critical mass, so I went to buy those (the "Well, This Just Really Sucks" tee and the "Nice Boobies" tee, which I am wearing right now, and which makes me chuckle). (Threadless tees rule, by the way. If you're not familiar with the site, go look through their store, especially the sold out designs - some of them are absolutely hilarious. If you see a sold-out one you really like, you can request a reprint of it. Personally, I'm waiting for a reprint of this one, because it made me laugh so hard when I saw it.) And then I decided I needed to take the plunge and get the stuff I've been looking at from Toothpaste for Dinner and Natalie Dee, including another nerdy chemistry t-shirt and the Will Knit for Tattoos tote bag I mentioned a couple posts ago (because, y'know, I will knit for tattoos. I'm just sayin').

And then I figured I'd try to get a new pair of rain boots from Zappos in preparation for Bonnaroo, since my old ones (which aren't even that old yet!) have a hole in them - and after Coventry, there's no way I'm going to a rock festival without rain boots. So I ordered a couple other things (they were on sale!) along with the rain boots - and of course, everything fits except the boots. I may have to go to an actual physical store to get some boots, because I don't think Zappos could send me another pair before I'm supposed to leave on the 13th (and I didn't really like any of the other boots they had in my size, anyway). Does DSW have anything good right now? I guess I will find out soon enough.

So, Mr. Not-nearly-as-cool-as-Greenspan Bernanke, I'm doing my part to keep the economy humming, despite whatever you're doing that's freaking out the stock markets. Inflation, in-schmation.