Thursday, July 27, 2006

the way to my heart...

...is through my stomach. I discovered this my freshman year of college, when I basically stopped going to the dining halls because they were awful and never open when I wanted them to be. Instead of gaining the "freshman 15," I lost about 20 lbs. I was so hungry. After my senior friend who lived in the kitchen-equipped on-campus apartments fed me one time, I became a constant fixture in his room. He is pretty much the best friend I made at college (besides my husband), and we are still friends to this day (in fact, he is the second link in my "other awesome people I know" section in the left-hand column over there).

My gastrointestinal-cardiac connection was brought home for me again just recently when my husband was out of town for a couple days. I'll explain why he was out of town in just a minute, but first, here's an example of what I ate while he was away.

Monday's menu:
  • one bowl of dry rice chex (the milk went bad)

  • one glass of juice

  • a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

  • one glass of water


By contrast, here is what I've had to eat today:
  • one bowl of maple brown sugar oatmeal crisp (with milk)

  • last night's leftovers for lunch: homemade hummus, pita bread, thai curry chicken with peppers and onions, and rice

  • a black bean burrito with chicken thigh in spicy tomato sauce over rice for dinner

  • a couple big glasses of water

  • an Izze

  • a homemade cherry milkshake, which I am enjoying even as I type


You see the difference? Do you see how wretchedly malnourished and dehydrated I would be if I didn't have my husband around? Were it not for my daily multivitamin, I would die of scurvy in a matter of weeks without him. The dehydration might get me first. And now you know why I married him - besides the fact that we agree on all the big things (religion, kids, music, lifestyle, etc.), he likes to cook, whereas I usually can't be bothered. He feeds me, and I love him with all my heart.

Now, why he was out of town: remember that conference in St. Louis I mentioned a few posts back? The one where he was looking for a job? Well, he had several interviews at the conference, a couple of which went pretty well. One of them went so well that they invited him back for a second interview. They even sprang for his hotel and airfare - to Miami. That's right - the interview was with a law school in Miami. As in Florida. Armpit of America, Florida. Where we may - just may - be moving in a month or so. Depending on whether or not they like my DH better than any of the other candidates, whom they will finish interviewing this week.

Nothing is for sure yet. The other interview that went well was with a school in Charlotte, NC, and he is still waiting for the final decision from that place, too. But the school in Miami is the one which flew him out for another interview. And if they offer him the job and he hasn't heard anything from the school in Charlotte, he's said he will take the Miami job (it would pay pretty well. But it is in Miami). And he may not get either of those two jobs (tho' we hope he gets at least one of them - knock on wood), in which case we would be staying in Syracuse and he'd take whatever he could find here on short notice. Which is fine, but not exactly ideal. In the meantime, we are concentrating on cleaning our place up (because it is a sty right now, and 90% of that is my fault), in case we do need to move soon. Naturally, I will post here when we know for sure.