Tuesday, August 01, 2006

it is effing hot.

Like this sign from downtown St. Louis says:
you can say that again!

And it wasn't even as hot that day as it's forecast to be here today:
hot

I'm not sure it has quite reached 101 degrees (the National Weather Service says it's 94 right now), but it might as well be - it's intolerably hot any way you slice it. It was 88 degrees in our place when I got up this morning. It was up to 91 when we left. We're at Freedom of Espresso in Fayetteville right now, chilling out and enjoying the air conditioning and free wireless (bonus!). We will probably be here until almost closing time (7pm), so if you want to come hang out, please do. There's a group of elderly women here knitting - I may just join them in a minute! And then we are planning on hitting up Target real quick, and then doing dinner at that new Mexican restaurant on Erie Boulevard, El Canelo. I predict the temperature will still be over 90 inside when we return to our house. Ugh.

So how hot is it? Well, my glasses actually fogged up when I walked out of our air-conditioned bedroom, it was so hot and humid this morning. When I went to take a shower, I turned the hot water tap one quarter-turn and turned the cold tap one half-turn, and the water still came out toasty warm. I figured I would just take a warm shower, and when I got out the heat wouldn't feel as hot. That usually works, but not today - I got out, and I couldn't dry off because it was just too humid. In addition to the moisture from my shower, I now had a fresh coating of sweat on me, too! Fan-tastic. Well, at least this is only supposed to last until tomorrow evening. Stay cool, folks!