Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Friday recap

Well, now that I've finally got my pictures from the weekend in order (nevermind that it's just about 10 minutes away from being Wednesday by now), I can begin to tell you about it.

Friday was the Rhett Miller show at Studio A. It was good, but poor Rhett totally blew out his voice over the course of the show, so he sounded really rough by the end of it. The setlist, if you care:

  • Melt Show

  • This Is What I Do

  • My Valentine

  • The New Kid

  • Buick City Complex

  • Fireflies

  • Brand New Way

  • Bird in a Cage

  • Singular Girl

  • Four-Eyed Girl

  • Four Leaf Clover

  • Wish the Worst (he knocked over his mic stand during this song)

  • Things That Disappear

  • Barrier Reef

  • The El

  • Salome

  • Help Me, Suzanne

  • Won't Be Home

  • Come Around

  • Rollerskate Skinny

  • Timebomb

  • -----
  • Question (with verses en Francais)

  • Big Brown Eyes

  • Our Love


It was our first time going to Studio A. For all that I bet it is a shitty dance club, it is a pretty nice room in which to see a show. Of all people, Rik from All Is Well/10 Sheen/Whatever They're Calling Themselves This Week was working the door! I know no one in this town, but I recognized this guy whom I had met once in like, 2002, and whom I had seen play about 3 times ever. Then again, a foot-high mohawk makes a guy kind of recognizable, y'know? Anyway, I gave him my e-mail address so he could put me on the mailing list for whatever his new band is... he says they're playing a show there in April. I will definitely try to make it out for that.

So, Rhett. Oh, Rhett. I had forgotten what fun he is to watch onstage! He's a spaz! All flailing arms and liquid legs! It is simultaneously comic and endearing. I had never seen him solo before, but it's just like when he's fronting the Old 97's, only there's no band behind him. He still rocks everything out, yelping like there is no tomorrow in his inimitable way. Johnny's comment, after the show, was that he couldn't tell the Old 97's tracks and his solo tracks apart, the way Rhett played them all so high-energy and intense.

So here are my two pictures which should have been posted on Saturday, both from the Rhett show. Rhett in red (but not entirely in focus):
Rhett Miller, Studio A, Miami, 2/16/2007

And here's a shot of Studio A's gigantic disco ball, which hangs menacingly low over the dance floor:
Studio A's gigantic disco ball
(Believe it or not, this one's blurry on purpose.)

There's more on my Flickr photostream, if you're interested, including a (blurry, of course) picture of the opener, Jesse Jackson (not the Reverend - this dude. See also: his MySpace, and this article from the Miami Herald). We walked in about midway through his set, but what we saw, we liked. He was a very good fit for a Rhett crowd, I think.