Sunday, February 25, 2007

last weekend...

Man, I will never get caught up at this rate. Jeez. Anyway, I'm going to start with what we did last Sunday, because it's pretty easy to sum up: we did nothing. We were gonna go to the Delray Beach Garlic Fest, because a) garlic is great and 2) I wanted to see The Wreckers, who were playing there, but in the end, we were just too tired, and there was too much stuff we needed to do around the house. What were we doing on Saturday that kept us from our chores and left us oh-so exhausted? Glad you asked.

The short answer to that is we went record shopping, tried a new restaurant, and then went to a hockey game. I took pictures of all of it. So my pictures for last Saturday and Sunday (and probably Monday, too) will all be from Saturday's outing.

The record store was this crazy place in Pompano Beach called Kelly's Klassics. It used to be in Wilton Manors, and if you try to look it up most places still list that old address, but it has now moved to Bay B at 1431 SW 12th Ave, Pompano Beach. It's this kind of a place:
Kelly's Klassics in Pompano Beach

A true vinyl nerd's paradise. There's treasure to be found, but you have to be willing to spend all day there, digging through thousands and thousands of records.

Kelly's Klassics in Pompano Beach

We spent about 3 or 4 hours there and walked out with a big stack of vinyl that's worth about $160, but which they let us have for $120 (yay, bargain!). The bulk of the purchase was Johnny's, but I found a still-sealed copy of Johnny Cash Sings I Walk the Line (a Sun Records compilation from either 1970, 1976, or 1979 depending on which source you believe), and a Nashville steel guitar record from 1961, plus an awesome storage box for 45's (of which I have exactly two right now - I'm going to have to start collecting 'em now that I've got a cool box to put them in). Speaking of 45's...

45's at Kelly's Klassics in Pompano Beach

After record-hunting, we were starving, so we went to dinner at this little place up in Sunrise called Nirala Sweets & BBQ - well, I think the official name is Nirala Sweet & BBQ Restaurant, but the thing that grabbed my attention when I first saw it was their sign, which reads "Nirala Sweets BBQ." I saw that when we drove by it a couple weeks ago on the way to our first Panthers game and remarked to Johnny, "Now there's a place that has their priorities in order!" I figured we'd get around to checking it out someday, but the review of it here prompted my desire to eat there ASAP. There's also this review from the Miami Herald and this blurb from the BPB New Times to give you a good idea what the place is like. So here's what we ate:

dinner at Nirala Sweets & BBQ in Sunrise, 2/17/2007

Aloo saag, goat curry, and mango lassis! Mmm-mm. But absolutely nothing could prepare me for how amazing their sweets are!! I didn't get a picture of the sweets counter - I already felt like enough of a doofus standing there going "ok, I have no idea what any of this is, I have no clue what I want to try first, there are like, 25 different kinds of sweets here! what do I do, what do I do?" The owner was so nice - he gave us a sample of this one thing - "Try this, it's our top of the line." It was so good, I nearly fell over. "We'll take two pieces of everything on that shelf." That came out to be about a pound of sweets, and we killed that off in a week. So I will be sure to get a picture next time... because there will definitely be a next time. The place is on the way to the arena, and there's still a month to go in hockey season. But we'll have to pace ourselves, or we'll end up gaining 80 lbs each.

Well, this is getting kind of long, so I suppose I'll save the hockey stories for another post. I'm sure you're all on pins and needles, oh brother.