Thursday, March 29, 2007

our baby is sick, and so am I

Apologies for the lack of posts recently... fun_with_cheese and some other members of my DH's family came to visit last week, so I was busy then. I will post pics of all the fun we had soon (some are already up on the Flickr, if you want to hunt for them), but first, I need to rant a bit.

As noted in the title, I am sick. I have been sick on and off since about the 12th, and man, am I sick of it. It seems to be my usual semi-annual sinus infection, but this year's has really packed a whallop. It started with a sore throat. Then a runny nose and lots of sinus congestion. Then I felt a little better for a while and thought I was getting over it. Not so! This past Saturday I took a big turn for the worse - feverish, chills, major muscle aches all over... I spent Sunday feeling like I was going to die. Johnny gave me my insurance card so I could go to the doctor... but Monday I felt better, so I (foolishly) didn't bother. Felt crappy again on Tuesday - by this point, the coughing-up-gobs-of-phlegm thing had started, too. Worse on Wednesday - I woke up with a headache, and could just feel the fluid sloshing around in my sinuses, and then the chills came back... Today I don't feel as feverish as I did yesterday, but the theme of the day has been breathing trouble and incessant productive coughing which leaves my chest burning. Oh, and my throat is sore again. Wheee! I fully expect to be dead by this weekend.

And not only am I sick, but our new baby Bertram is sick.
our baby is sick, and so am I
His check-engine light came on after Johnny had been driving him for a few days. He made a service appointment, took the car in, they got the light to shut off, but couldn't figure out what was wrong. So sure enough, the light came back on the next day. He took it in again, and they said they'd keep it until they could figure out the problem. In the meantime, he's driving a loaner car - the first one they gave him was a PT Cruiser, because there were no non-manual Mini loaners available (and he tried the manual and couldn't hack it), and that solidified our dislike of that particular car. But at least they gave him something to drive (he has a cute little 2006 Mini loaner car right now).

Eventually, they figured out that the wrong fuel pump was installed in Bertie at the factory. Since he is one of the new 2007 models, they don't have documentation of this problem happening to anyone else yet, nor do they have that particular part in stock. Wheee! So our baby is living in the shop until the part arrives and they can install it. Johnny is very, very bummed out. He is also particularly busy and stressed out at work right now, and also not feeling particularly well (tho' he does not seem to have the same brand of death-infection I have). We are a lot of fun to be around these days, let me tell you.

But wait, there's more! These two things seem to be part of an overall run of bad juju or something we seem to be having right now. In an attempt to exorcise this crappy stuff, I am going to enumerate everything shitty that's happened to us in the past few weeks in my next post.