Friday, February 29, 2008

goals for 2008

Now that we are, oh, about an hour away from being three months into 2008, I figure it's finally time I get around to posting something I meant to post back in January.

I'm not one for new year's resolutions, but at the beginning of the year I often set myself some projects to accomplish by year's end. Invariably I fail to do everything I want - but that's pretty much how life goes. It never stops me from setting myself ridiculous little tasks every January (and usually abandoning them about mid-February).

I wanted to try something a little different this year, tho'. I kind of went micro and macro, both more specific and more broad in my aims at the same time. Hmm, that sentence isn't going to make much sense until I tell you what my goals are. So without further ado:

my goals for 2008
  • learn how to play bridge

  • travel more

  • craft more

  • and yes, the ever-popular
  • blog more


The bridge thing is mostly Nana's fault. She was a big bridge player, and I now have all her bridge supplies - decks of cards, cute little scoring pads, etc. I figure I might as well put the stuff to some use. Learning to play bridge also fits into my long-term super-secret plan of turning myself into a demented 50's mod housewife.

Traveling, well, I always want to do more of that. But it's really going to happen this year. Specifically, I want to go to more places I've never been before. Man, it's been five years now since the last time I took a trip off the continent! It sucks that the bulk of my international travel took place between 1997 and 2001. I miss jetting off to crazy, exotic places. But this year... well, let's just say our passports expire this year, and we've already sent them in for renewal. More on this in a future post...

As for crafting, it just occurred to me when I finally got back to FL after dealing with all Nana's stuff that so much of the excess crap I keep hauling around from place to place is craft supplies. Stuff I'm planning to use to make something, someday. Well, we are out of space and I can't keep carting all this stuff around, so that someday is today. Or at least, it's this year. Crafting is something I love so dearly, but I don't do nearly often enough. So I'm making it a priority to set aside the time (even if it's just once a month) and actually complete some long-festering projects this year. It'll clear out some closet space, and it'll make me feel better.

More blogging, well, I'm not setting a schedule or anything, just trying to make sure that, when I have an idea for a blog I want to write, I actually follow through on it and sit down and write the thing before I forget what it was I wanted to say in the first place. That's all.

I guess if I have to sum up my goals for the year into one over-arching theme, I'd say it comes down to this: be more productive. Make significant progress toward long-term plans by finishing specific small tasks. Less sitting on my ass and more kicking ass. I've been keeping it up fairly well so far, and it's past mid-February already, so. I think 2008 is going to be a good year. :)

.....

Labels: