Sunday, April 13, 2008

the Arrogant Worms at Blake Library in Stuart

I finally, after about eight years of being a fan, got to see the Arrogant Worms tonight.

Of course, I had to drive an hour and a half to a public library in Stuart to do it, and I had been feeling crappy all afternoon, so I wasn't sure it would be worth the hassle. But I figured this was probably going to be my only shot to see them, like, ever, since they don't play the States too much, and in all the time I've known of them, they've never played closer than an hour and a half away from where I've lived (even when I only lived a few hours' drive from the border).

And it was totally worth it - I'm so glad I went! Those guys are so freaking funny!! I only wish I'd had the opportunity to see them sooner.

I bought five of their CDs at the merch booth (out of a total of eleven, eight of which they had available when I got to the table). I would've bought more if they weren't $15 each and admission to the show was not $20. I guess the exchange rate is not working in my favor right now. Maybe I should've asked if they would take Canadian currency - I've got a few Willys I need to spend.

Anyway, if you're not familiar with the brilliance that is the Arrogant Worms, run-do-not-walk: buy their CDs here. My only very slight disappointment with their show was that they did not play "Rippy the Gator" - they did, however, play "I Am Cow," which I was hoping (but not expecting) to hear, and it was fantastic. I was a total nerdy fangirl, and I snagged setlists and I got two of them to sign one of the CDs I bought. Here's what they played, if you're interested:
  • We Are the Beaver
  • Twins
  • Rocks and Trees
  • Big Box Store*
  • The Boy*
  • Log In to You
  • I Am Cow
  • Cellphone Vigilante*
  • I Ran Away
  • Hollywood Girl*
  • Wolfe Island Ferry
  • Celine Dion
  • The Last Saskatchewan Pirate
  • -----
  • Let's Go Bowling
  • -----
  • Carrot Juice Is Murder
*denotes song title I'm not sure of - set list has only one-or-two-word abbreviations.

Yeah, we called them back for two encores. I'm glad they played "Carrot Juice Is Murder," because I had completely forgotten about that song (hey, I discovered the AW on Napster back in 2000 - up 'til now, all I have had of their music has been mp3's, and I lost most of the ones I had in a hard drive crash in 2001. Cut me some slack, ok? I promise to be a better fan in the future). Hooray for funny Canadian music!

.....

Labels: ,