Monday, April 14, 2008

shows, events, things I want to see...

One of the mixed blessings of living in a major metropolitan area is that there's no shortage of things to see and do. Just this past Saturday, for instance, I had no fewer than four events competing for my time - that's madness! Here are a few things I really hope I can find the time and $$ to see before they go away:
  • Friday, April 18: Asha Bhosle at the Broward Center. This is the kind of show I almost can't believe is happening here. I have had Cornershop's "Brimful of Asha" in my head ever since they started plugging the show on the radio. I want to go see her, but alas, I don't think I want to enough to pay $35 (plus whatever inconvenience fees they decide to tack on). :/ Still, it's pretty exciting to me that she's going to be here at all.

  • Bodies: The Exhibition has been extended through Memorial Day, thank goodness. I missed it in Miami last year right after I moved here, and I was afraid I was going to miss it again, since I was in Virginia from December to February. But I've still got a month or so to catch it, now - yayness! I won't procrastinate on this, since I don't really have much else going on during my days right now. Tix here.

  • Also on through the end of May: Botero, Chihuly and Lichtenstein at the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. I've still never been to the Garden, since I missed the Mango Festival last year (and I'm rather bummed that I'm going to miss it again this year, since we'll be in Portland for AALL then). This show seems like the perfect excuse to get down there and check it out. Damn shame it's so expensive, tho' - $20 for daytime admission, $30 for Thursday late-nites. It sucks to be broke. :(

  • Last, but not least, this is BIG news - big enough to cheer me up when Johnny sent me a text message about it right after I hurt my knees on Sunday and I was all upset about not being able to skate for a while. But it's not happening here. It's happening in New York and Virginia (so far - I don't know if any more dates will be forthcoming). 2 Skinnee J's are reuniting to play some shows this August. ZOMGWTFBBQ!!! They're playing on 8/8/08 at The NorVa, and Johnny & I will so be there. They're also playing on the 9th and 10th at Irving Plaza in NYC (they had to add the show on the 10th because the show on the 9th sold out so fast) - we may or may not try to catch them on the 10th, too. The trailer for the show promises the return of Stevie Spice (tho' alas, no Mikey B on the drums - but hey, Andy Action is back!)! I am simultaneously very excited to see the guys again, yet also afraid that there is just no way they could possibly be as good as they were at their peak, and thus the show(s) will be somewhat disappointing. Still - there's no way I'm gonna miss it! Tix via TicketBastard here.

Wow - many exciting things afoot. My Google calendar overfloweth. :)

.....

Labels: , ,