Tuesday, April 29, 2008

two words: flying trapeze

I was driving by Young Circle not too long ago, and I noticed there was a trapeze rig up on the south side, by the bandshell. And there was a sign saying they were offering trapeze lessons!

I have had a thing for the trapeze since I was a little kid and actually still watched circuses. It just always looked like the most fun thing in the world. I was always really into swings. But I always figured I could never do trapeze because I had no upper body strength at all, nor was I ever particularly coordinated or athletic. I'm marginally better in all those areas now, tho'. And now I've got my chance to try the trapeze! Woohoo!

So, these are the people running the thing: The Flying Gaonas. They're based in Chicago, but they've got family in Fort Lauderdale, so they're spending the winter here, according to this Sun-Sentinel article. That article (which is from January - man, I'm out of touch sometimes) also says they'll only be in town through the end of April, but the Hollywood tourism site says "Through May 2008," and the Gaonas' own site says they won't be back in Chicago until June. So I've still got time!

The only stumbling blocks I see are my injured knees (how much would it suck to further injure them doing extracurricular non-derby activity?), and the fact that you can't wear glasses while doing it. I want to get a pair of sports goggles for derby, since I hate contacts, but heck only knows when I'll get around to doing that (or when I'll be able to afford it). So maybe I won't be able to swing this year, after all - but the newspaper article and their website do make it sound like this wintering-in-Florida thing is going to become an annual occurrence for the Flying Gaonas. I'll have to call and ask when I get back to FL. Trapeze in 2009!!! :D

.....

Labels: ,