Friday, April 18, 2008

weekend plans

Tomorrow is Record Store Day, but instead of spending the whole day browsing at Radio-Active or Sweat or even Uncle Sam's, we're going to be either attending, or hanging out with Johnny's parents who will be in town attending, the 25th Annual Sunrise Community Hot Air Balloon Race in Kendall. That seems like a very weird (tho' interesting) event. Anyway, I'm betting we'll be able to spend at least a little time at Sweat on Saturday, because not only is it Record Store Day, but Sweat is also celebrating its third anniversary! They're throwing a big party and everything! And besides, we have to pass Sweat to get to Kendall...

On Sunday...
Photobucket

...I'm caravaning to Fort Myers with some BCDG peeps to watch the Fort Myers Derby Girls* take on the Bradentucky Bombers** at Generations Skating Center, 2095 Andrea Lane, Fort Myers, FL 33912.

*(Don't click that link - they don't seem to have a website besides their myspace, but that page is so bloated it will take forever to load if it doesn't crash your browser first.)
**(Their website does not seem to have been updated since February.)

This will be the first regional roller derby action I've gotten to see besides the MRRG vs. IRDG bouts at the Smackdown! I'm way excited! We're also planning to play our very first away bout against Fort Myers in August (see our schedule), so it will be useful to check out the competition. Not that I'll be skating in that bout or anything, but still.

BTW, I'm not going to be in town for this, but our next bout is going to be an intraleague bout on May 18:
Spring Fling - Derby Style!

Click the pic for tix!!! We're going with a "derby prom" theme, and it promises to be such a hoot. I wish I could be here for it.

Well, I still feel bad that I'm going to miss Asha Bhosle at the Broward Center tonight, especially after she was on The World yesterday, and there was this write-up in the New Times this week. (Speaking of the New Times, they've got an article on us this week, too! Woohoo!) I'm sure I'll later regret missing this show, but man, I need to spend a night at home sometimes, y'know? Literally, I've been out every night this week so far: Sunday & Monday were practices (I can't skate, but I can watch), Tuesday was BCDG Scrabble night (I was the champion, thanks to my lucky Scrabble shirt), Wednesday was practice, and last night was the Creative Committee meeting. Derby truly has taken over my life. :)

.....

Labels: , ,