Saturday, January 03, 2009

ZOMFGWTFBBQ salsa blanca yes!!!

So, for the past, I dunno, however-long... 8, 10 years... however long ago it was that we had that explosion of Mexican restaurants in Hampton Roads... anyway, for however long it's been since that happened, most of the local Mexican places have served two kinds of salsa with the chips they give you to munch on while you're waiting for your meal - a typical, tomato-based red salsa, and a white salsa, which I have never encountered in any other Mexican place I've ever tried, anywhere else in the world.

And I LOVE this white salsa. It's the #1 reason I have to go out for Mexican at least once on any trip home. Mom and I once asked our waiter at one of these establishments what was in it. He was an older guy, and did not speak English all that well, so all he could really tell us was "Miracle Whip, cream, spices." While that was helpful in explaining why I find it so delicious (I loves me some Miraculous Whip), it was not so helpful in allowing me to, say, reproduce the sauce when I am in Florida and feeling homesick.

I'd Googled for a more specific recipe a few times, but not come up with anything useful. Today, however, on a whim, since I will not be getting to visit my beloved El Parian in their new location at 4848 Virginia Beach Blvd (and let me tell you, I freaked out when I saw the Independence Blvd location closed until I learned that they'd just moved, not closed entirely), I tried Googling "salsa blanca" again - and voila: one Salsa Blanca Recipe, courtesy Efitobx. The person is from the area, and the recipe is basically Miracle Whip, sour cream, and spices, so I'm guessing this is it. YAYNESS! I can't wait to get home and try it. Can. Not. Wait. :D

.....

Labels: ,